MCAF’s organization committee is made up of a combination of salaried employees and volunteers. Our entire team shares a deep love of the comic arts and a passion for promoting the work of Quebec’s creators, both in Montreal and internationally. They present themselves here by answering four crucial questions.
- What’s your job?
- What do you do when you’re not working?
- What sentence sums up your love of comics?
- Would you like to add something else?
Thanks to Laurence Dea Dionne for the portraits!
- I lead a great team of joyful enthusiasts who have taken it upon themselves to organize a comic arts festival in Montreal every year, and that comes with the title of general manager.
- I do yoga, I read, I take care of my house and the cat who reing there with my son and I tell myself that I should go and play outside more often.
- Unconditional, curious and eclectic (yes I know it’s not a sentence)
- Since I started managing the festival, I realized all that remains for me to learn about comic arts and those who create it and that fascinates me.
Programming & Logistics Coordinator
- I commute 20 hours a day to make sure people who travel by air get there without any nasty surprises. But they will be surprised if they get to a port.
- I get involved, I devour comics and novels, I play games, I wonder if I forgot to turn off the oven when I left and let the cat in.
- There are not enough hours in a day.
- I don’t remember the Periodic Table of the Elements I was once taught, but I do know Thanos is from Titan, and that matters as much.
Alexandre Girard Vermeil
Special Projects Manager & Programming Support
- I’m an eternal student, I write theories bordering on fiction for a YouTube channel, avoiding the commentary section and making sure all goes well for the festival.
- I watch too much TV and movies, read, write, play video games, and chase my 300 cats.
- « In the name of the moon, I’ll punish you! » – Sailor Moon
Exhibitions & Publications Manager
- I am a pitch writer for musical projects. I’m a handywoman on music video sets and festivals. I go where I can help the art reach its audience.
- When I’m not working I listen to the radio, I cook for my friends, I watch jokes on the Internet, I walk a lot, I forget that I have plants, I remember that I have a mother.
- I’m still waiting for the handwritten thank you letter from Costco for the astronomical number of Archie Giants that I had my poor parents buy.
- I love it both in one: birthday cake Timbits, cotton candy ice cream, pizzaghettis and comics.
Communication & Volunteer Manager
- I spam people by sending them newsletters to get them to buy products to make art.
- I read, play, embroider, cook, and desperately try to make my cat an internet star.
- My dream as a little girl was to have a comic book cabinet.
- Long live the festival and comic arts!
Facebook Manager, Editor
- I align words in a pleasant way (most of the time) and correct other people’s words as well.
- I get tattoos and play games.
- I have always read comics and I’m not going to stop!
- Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.
- Pre-press graphic designer in a Montreal advertising agency.
- Graphic design for the festival, BIG sleeps, Beer-BD evenings on the terrace, family vacations, long bike rides and I make wooden planes!
- I am not comparing the price of things in dollars, but in the number of comics I could buy! (no cell phone = 3 BD per month)
- I discovered here in Quebec, another face of comics, much more diverse, original and inspiring … and just so you know, we are a hell of a good gang at MCAF!
- I am also a graphic designer!
- I watch movies and I tinker.
- I read and like a lot of things, if I had to name a few: Pif Gadget, Rubrique-à-Brac (Gotlib), Rahan, Metal Hurlant: Giraud, Corben, Druillet, Moebius, Bilal, Frazetta, Boris, Miller, Bisley , McFarlane … ok I’ll stop!
- “The greatest teacher, failure is.” – Yoda
Publication Designer, Videographer
- I move pixels, but I don’t play video games. What am I?
- I move pixels, but in a video game. Otherwise, I collect art books and compare film adaptations to their original comics.
- I don’t read books if there aren’t pictures. In fact, I don’t know how to read.
- I know how to play Ces soirées-là by Yannick on bass.
Web Development, Shop Manager
- Functional analyst at CRI Agence, with a few touches of Web programmer, Team Lead, and other related tasks. A bit like a Swiss Army Knife!
- Family leisure, cycling, movies, series, comics … MCAF
- I am always impressed by the work of the comic creators!!!
- Long live MCAF!
- Web project manager; I take care of leading projects from start to finish, taking into account the technical feasibility, the relevance of the project as well as the economic environment.
- I see friends, I go out with friends, I do activities with friends…
- I discovered comics very late, but I love it for its diversity and accessibility.
- It was already difficult to answer three questions…
- I am a visual designer and artistic director, that is to say I am in charge of the artistic department for films, ads, also events.
- Passionate about Japan and Design, I admit spending a lot of time to indulge these 2 passions, when family life allows it! Can I admit that I love building Lego?
- Comics have built who I am and what I do. It fills a large space in my life to the extent, in particular, of the size of my office which shrinks as a result!
- The comic arts must take their rightful place!
Anglophone Community Outreach
- I organize kickstarters for print anthologies of comics.
- If I am not working, I am probably doing the laundry, cooking, or walking my dog.
- “But Doctor…I am Pagliacci.”
- No. I have nothing more to add.
Anglophone Community Outreach, Translation
- I am an illustrator, graphic designer, and comic book creator (not necessarily in that order).
- I really love nature, so I try to get out camping, canoeing, etc. My partner and I are in the process of converting a van into a mini-camper, it’s a lot of work but also lots of fun!
- I’ve loved comics since I was a kid, so for me it’s really wild that now it’s my job to create comics!
- I think we are really lucky with our wonderful comics community here in Montreal.