MCAF’s organization committee is made up of a combination of salaried employees and volunteers. Our entire team shares a deep love of the comic arts and a passion for promoting the work of Quebec’s creators, both in Montreal and internationally. They present themselves here by answering four crucial questions.
- What’s your job?
- What do you do when you’re not working?
- What sentence sums up your love of comics?
- Would you like to add something else?
- I lead a great team of joyful enthusiasts who have taken it upon themselves to organize a comic arts festival in Montreal every year, and that comes with the title of general manager.
- I do yoga, I read, I take care of my house and the cat who reing there with my son and I tell myself that I should go and play outside more often.
- Unconditional, curious and eclectic (yes I know it’s not a sentence)
- Since I started managing the festival, I realized all that remains for me to learn about comic arts and those who create it and that fascinates me.
Mélanie La Roche
- I am the assistant director for the 2022 edition of the Festival. I am currently helping the team and building my knowledge of the festival to be ready to take over as general director in June.
- I enjoy cooking, petting my cats, watching TV shows, playing water polo, reading, going to music and comedy shows, biking, listening to podcasts on the road, eating and drinking good food with good company, and occasionally catching my breath out of town.
- My love of comics is very similar to my love of wine, and my choices vary depending on the occasion and mood: there are “artistic” comics that sometimes surprise like a good natural wine, classical comic books similar to appellation wine, some manga that can be easily read like a thirst quenching wine, and I also save certain books for special occasions. (But I also like soft drinks and children’s comics!)
- Thank you to all the comic book creators for the stories and emotions shared through your books.
Programming & Logistics Director
- I’m immersed in comics every day, whether it’s organizing the festival or books.
- I get involved, I devour comics and novels, I play games, I wonder if I forgot to turn off the oven when I left and let the cat in.
- There are not enough hours in a day.
- I don’t remember the Periodic Table of the Elements I was once taught, but I do know Thanos is from Titan, and that matters as much.
Programming & Logistics Manager
- I make sure that the artists have everything they need to make the festival a success!
- I dance whenever I can, from hip-hop to street jazz, I love it! Otherwise I play video games on PS4 when I can’t dance anymore.
- A discovery for me! And a nice surprise.
- I’m new to Montreal, and I’m thrilled to be part of the festival this year!
- I am a visual designer and artistic director, that is to say I am in charge of the artistic department for films, ads, also events.
- Passionate about Japan and Design, I admit spending a lot of time to indulge these 2 passions, when family life allows it! Can I admit that I love building Lego?
- Comics have built who I am and what I do. It fills a large space in my life to the extent, in particular, of the size of my office which shrinks as a result!
- The comic arts must take their rightful place!
- I spam people by sending them newsletters to get them to buy products to make art.
- I read, play, embroider, cook, and desperately try to make my cat an internet star.
- My dream as a little girl was to have a comic book cabinet.
- Long live the festival and comic arts!
Facebook Manager, Editor
- I align words in a pleasant way (most of the time) and correct other people’s words as well.
- I get tattoos and play games.
- I have always read comics and I’m not going to stop!
- Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.
- Pre-press graphic designer in a Montreal advertising agency.
- Graphic design for the festival, BIG sleeps, Beer-BD evenings on the terrace, family vacations, long bike rides and I make wooden planes!
- I am not comparing the price of things in dollars, but in the number of comics I could buy! (no cell phone = 3 BD per month)
- I discovered here in Quebec, another face of comics, much more diverse, original and inspiring … and just so you know, we are a hell of a good gang at MCAF!
Publication Designer, Videographer
- I am a 3D Technical Animator at Game On, a studio specializing in Motion Capture which mainly works in the video game industry.
- I enjoy doing a good game of DnD, hiking, reading comics, working on creative projects, and playing video games.
- It’s at the opening of the book that the adventure begins.
- I am extremely happy to be able to help the festival and share my love of comics.
Web Development, Shop Manager
- Functional analyst at CRI Agence, with a few touches of Web programmer, Team Lead, and other related tasks. A bit like a Swiss Army Knife!
- Family leisure, cycling, movies, series, comics … MCAF
- I am always impressed by the work of the comic creators!!!
- Long live MCAF!
- Web project manager; I take care of leading projects from start to finish, taking into account the technical feasibility, the relevance of the project as well as the economic environment.
- I see friends, I go out with friends, I do activities with friends…
- I discovered comics very late, but I love it for its diversity and accessibility.
- It was already difficult to answer three questions…
This year sees the creation of a Programming Committee whose mandate to develop and prepare a unique, diverse and interesting programing slate for the Festival that reflects the broader cultural moment. All the people chosen have been involved with the Festival for several years and are important individuals in the Montreal comics community.
- Catherine Emmanuel Brunet | Moderator
- David Daneman | Cartoonist & Publisher
- Dimani Mathieu Cassendo | Visual narrator
- François Vigneault | Cartoonist & Translator
- Sandrine Bourget-Lapointe | Bookseller