The Manga Contest is back for a 2nd year!
What is the Manga Contest?
The popularity of manga has been steadily growing for several years, and an increasing number of people are becoming interested in the complex and creative aspects of their favorite hobby, such as manga drawing and scriptwriting.
Launched in 2022 by Les Librairies O-Taku, one of the leading experts on Japanese comic books, better known as manga, in collaboration with the Montreal Comic Arts Festival (MCAF), the contest aims to identify and encourage emerging talents in manga writing in Quebec, and eventually, across the country.
Who can participate?
- Only people who have never been published (I.e. self-publishing or publishing house) can submit their application.
- The recipient must be at least 18 years old and be a Canadian resident.
- For this edition, candidates must also reside in Quebec, Canada.
What do I need to do to participate?
To be considered, candidates must submit a short but complete manga, commonly known as a “one shot.”
The story submitted should be a minimum of 20 pages and a maximum of 25 pages, accompanied by a brief description and a cover page. The cover page is not included in the page count limit.
The application process consists of two main steps. The first step is to register. Once this is done, candidates will receive instructions by email and will have until Wednesday, August 16, 2023, at 11:59 PM (EST) to submit their work.
- From May 26th to August 16th, 11:59 PM (EST) – Registration and submission of applications
- September – Evaluation of all submitted applications by our pre-selection committee
- October – Selection of the top 10 applications
- Selection of the 3 finalists, including the winning candidate, by the jury
- Voting Contest by the public
- Announcement of the winner and the two other finalists during the activities of the Montreal Book Fair (SLM)